Planning to Transfer Your Numbers to 8x8?
Local Number Portability (LNP)
Local Number Portability (LNP) enables customers in the United States to transfer their existing telephone number (traditional or Internet-based) from one phone service provider to another. With 8x8 Internet Phone Service, you can request that your number be transferred free of charge at anytime during the initial order process or even after you have become an 8x8 customer, as long as you maintain phone service for the number you want to transfer. Check to see if you can transfer your numbers >
Steps for Transferring Your Phone Number(s)
Here’s what to expect when porting your numbers to your new 8x8 service.
- Gather documents (see our Number Transfer Checklist).
- Setup your new phone system using temporary numbers provided by 8x8.
- Submit request to 8x8 to transfer your number (Number Transfer Tips)
- We will let you know as soon as your numbers have been successfully transferred.
- Do not cancel your old telephone service until your numbers have been completely transferred.
Transfer Process and Timing
8x8 makes every attempt to work with all telephone service providers across the United States; however certain local or regional guidelines may preclude us from being able to transfer your number to 8x8. In such cases, a new number from 8x8 would be provided. In most cases, we can transfer your number within 10 business days from when you submit the number transfer request, provided that all the correct information and documentation is submitted, including a correctly filled out Letter of Authorization (LOA) and the correct Billing Telephone Number (BTN). In some cases, number transfers can take up to 4 weeks depending on when your current provider releases your number(s). During the transfer process, 8x8 will provide a temporary phone number that is your option to keep. After your number has been transferred to 8x8, your former phone service provider may automatically discontinue your service with them, however, you should contact your former phone service provider to confirm this. 8x8 will work with you every step of the way should you have questions and need help submitting your number transfer request.
Submit Your Number Transfer Request
To submit your number transfer request:
- Login to your 8x8 account
- Click Number Transfer from the menu on the left
- Follow the instructions in the online wizard
Business Customers: Please wait until after your over-the-phone installation appointment to request number transfers so we can make sure any virtual or toll-free numbers you’ve purchased are set up correctly. Residential customers may begin the number transfer process right away.
- Why choose to transfer a phone number?
- Can I switch numbers if I’m in an existing contract?
- Can I switch my number to my new location?
- Are toll free numbers transferable?
- How long will it take to transfer my number?
- Will I experience a lapse in service?
- My DSL uses my requested number. Can I transfer it without losing my DSL?
- If I transfer my number, will I have to cancel my account with the other provider myself or will you do that?
- No new phone numbers to remember
- No need to notify friends, family, customers and business contacts of your new phone number
- No need to print new stationery or business cards
Can I switch numbers if I’m in an existing contract? Sure, but you will be responsible for any early termination fees charged by your current carrier for exiting the contract, plus any balance owed on your account.
Can I switch my number to my new location? Yes. As opposed to traditional telecom service providers, our services are as mobile as you are. With all our accounts, you can keep your phone numbers from another city regardless of where you are located. That is one of the great benefits of 8x8 VoIP phone service.
How long will it take to transfer my number? In most cases, we can transfer your number within 10 business days from when you submit the number transfer request, provided that all the correct information and documentation is submitted, including a correctly filled out Letter of Authorization (LOA) and the correct Billing Telephone Number (BTN). In some cases, number transfers can take up to 4 weeks depending on when your current provider releases your number(s).
Will I experience a lapse in service? It is possible you may experience a lapse in service, during the actual transferring process. This normally lasts only a few minutes. We will do everything we can to make sure that if downtime does occur, it is brief.
My DSL uses my requested number. Can I transfer it without losing my DSL? No. You cannot transfer a number that has DSL associated with it. You will need to contact your current provider to remove the DSL service from the line you want to transfer and request a new number for the DSL service before starting the number transfer process. Or you can sign up for other type of high-speed broadband service like cable before you transfer the number to 8x8.
If I transfer my number, will I have to cancel my account with the other provider myself or will you do that? In most cases, your provider will automatically disconnect your account when the number transfers. However, we encourage you to contact your provider to ensure they have disconnected the service and stopped the billing to your account.