Cloud Computing and the Different Types of Communication in Healthcare
Cloud computing is changing the way people communicate and work with one another in a variety of fields. This is particularly true in the healthcare industry.
A cloud-based unified communications system provides access to the most up-to-date medical records, along with the ability to communicate with other providers and patients from any device or location. This encourages a more collaborative approach. As a result, patient outcomes have improved, and healthcare costs are restrained.
The latest advances in cloud-based software can provide the different types of communication in healthcare your organization needs to reach these goals.
The Different Communication Methods in Healthcare
Unified communications as a service, also known as UCaaS, offers a set of applications that encourage collaboration. According to Health Tech Magazine, cloud communication platforms in the healthcare field are increasingly used to provide doctors, nurses, diagnostic technicians, and other medical personnel with the tools they need to improve efficiency and quality in healthcare delivery.
Cloud computing and collaboration apps are likewise capitalizing on the proliferation of mobile devices in the workforce to improve patient outcomes and overall efficiency. Types of communications in the healthcare field supported under the UCaaS platform include:
- Platform-Agnostic Email, Chat/IM, and Messaging: This provides a way for medical providers and administrators to communicate immediately with one another across a variety of devices. It also allows them to notify patients of appointments while addressing questions and concerns at any time and from any location.
- Voice, Video, and Web Meetings/Conferencing: This encourages interaction and problem solving among providers, specialists, and experts in the field, allowing for more collaborative care.
- Virtual Appointment Apps: This allows providers to meet online with patients or their families and to take advantage of “virtual appointments,” which many insurance companies offer as a way to diagnose and treat common conditions or to prescribe medications.
- Online Patient Databases: Cloud-based databases offer a safe, reliable HIPAA-compliant way for doctors, medical staff, and health administrators to coordinate care through immediate access to patient health histories and charts.
- Online Patient Portals: Patients benefit by having a secure online portal to access medical records and to obtain lab or diagnostic testing results, rather than having to wait anxiously by the phone.
Keeping Communication Methods in Healthcare Secure and Reliable
Falling behind on tools that enhance communications in the healthcare field can end up costing you both time and money. EHR Intelligence, an IT information provider for the healthcare community, cites research that shows inefficient communications tools cost hospitals and other healthcare organizations $8.3 million each year.
In a survey of more than 570 physicians, the Ponemon Institute found that clinicians lose roughly 45 minutes each day due to ineffective communication. 52% cite pagers as the leading cause of their frustration, and more than a third were prohibited from text messaging, which they claim could cut patient discharge times by close to one hour. This is largely due to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which has traditionally restricted the use of mobile devices.
This does not have to be an ongoing problem. Today, the most innovative and advanced cloud-based communication and collaboration systems are configurable to be compliant with HIPAA regulations, with an added emphasis on security. This enables you to safely take advantage of key healthcare communication technologies, providing you with the following benefits:
- Greater mobility for doctors and other members of medical teams
- Enhanced communications, encouraging collaboration among medical personnel and increasing patient satisfaction rates
- Increased efficiency, which can allow you to focus your attention where it is needed most
- Integrated systems, which work across platforms, allowing you to coordinate services and care
Optimizing Communication in the Healthcare Field
8x8 is a leader in cloud communications, providing a unified system that is integrated, secure, and HIPAA-compliant, with the tools you need to coordinate care, encourage collaboration, and maximize efficiency. With the latest communication methods in healthcare, you can take advantage of technology to save time and money while increasing patient satisfaction and the quality of care you provide.
When it comes to security, 8x8 provides reliable and compliant cloud solutions at a demanding level rarely seen by other cloud providers. Don't take your chances with a subpar cloud-based telecom system. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out our online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 Product Specialist.