How a Messaging API Can Maximize Your Marketing Success
With a majority of Internet users now accessing the web through mobile devices, messaging apps have become a critical tool for communicating with customers. Messenger marketing through SMS and MMS messages has become one of today’s most important tactics for generating leads and driving sales. Meanwhile a growing number of consumers prefer to seek customer support through messaging apps as well.
To meet the technological challengAe posed by these marketing and customer service trends, one tool many companies are finding indispensable is a messaging API. Using an API for messaging allows you to send bulk SMS or MMS marketing messages, customize messages for individual customers, deliver superior customer service through messaging apps, and streamline your internal collaborative processes.
Here’s a deeper look at how using an API for messaging can enhance your marketing effectiveness, improve your customer satisfaction, and optimize your collaboration efficiency.
What Is a Messaging API?
Messaging can be a great way to communicate with prospects and customers. However, the process of messaging can be complicated if you’re using one communications tool and your customers are using another. Popular messaging apps include:
- Facebook Messenger
- QQ Mobile
While your customers may be using some of these messaging apps, your internal team may be using other platforms for collaboration, such as Slack, Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, Google Hangouts, or Workplace by Facebook.
Trying to use one of these platforms to communicate with customers who are using other communications tools can be inefficient, inconvenient, or even impossible. In addition, you may wish to use information from other software apps when communicating with customers, such as customer data from your CRM database. This information may be unavailable in your messaging app.
This is where a messaging API can assist you. An API (application programming interface) is a software program which enables two other software programs to talk to each other by “translating” between them. A messaging API allows you to use your preferred app to receive messages from a messaging app or send messages to the app.
This lets your team use a single platform to manage internal communications and communications with your customers, no matter what messaging apps your customers are using. It also allows you to sync data from other software programs with your communications platform.
How a Messaging API Helps with Building Communications Apps
Using an API to build on your communications platform can convey several important business advantages:
- Bulk messaging: A messaging API can let you use your own preferred platform to send out bulk SMS or MMS messages to prospects no matter what app or device they’re using. This capability can exponentially expand your prospecting base, allowing you to market to users on more platforms and to create customized campaigns for users on specific messaging apps.
- Customized marketing: By using your messaging API to connect your messaging platform with your CRM database, you can leverage your customers’ data for personalized marketing. Segment your marketing campaigns by demographic criteria, type of device or app the customer is using, their stage in the buying cycle, or their purchasing history.
- Message-based customer service: Through a messaging API, you can efficiently deliver service to customers over any messaging app they prefer. This can improve your customers’ satisfaction, translating into better results for your marketing and sales efforts.
- Improved internal efficiency: A messaging app can integrate your internal communications platform with the one you use to communicate with your customers. This not only helps customer communications, but it also improves your internal efficiency as customer service tickets are transferred from one representative to another. This allows your reps to see customer information that has previously been provided to other reps, shortening support wait time and improving customer experience, which translates into higher satisfaction and more sales.
These benefits make a messaging API an invaluable extension of your communications platform.
Choosing a Suitable Communications Platform
A messaging API requires a suitable supporting platform. A team messaging(2) platform equipped for API should ideally include a number of key features:
- Built-in API support for integration with popular apps and cross-platform communication, particularly for apps and platforms you already use in your business, such as your current CRM platform.
- A unified platform that integrates all your communications channels through a single interface, including messaging, voice, and meetings.
- Automatic availability for all employees at your company, so that everyone in your global directory has access to your communications platform and all departments can talk to each other.
- Scalability so you can add on employees as needed.
- B2B collaboration support, so you can communicate with your external partners and suppliers as well as your customers.
- A communication platform with these features will help you get the most marketing performance out of your messaging API.
By enabling you to leverage mobile marketing and social media customer service, a messaging API can boost your sales and customer satisfaction, while simultaneously streamlining your internal collaboration. Collaboration is key to the success of any business.
Whether you are using the Virtual Office Mobile app or the 8x8 Virtual Office desktop app, 8x8 makes collaboration quick and simple. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.