How to call Canada from the US
This guide gives you all the information you need to call Canada from the US: area codes, country code, examples, and more. Follow the guide below to learn how to call to Canada from the US.
Calling Canada from the USA
Here are a few things to consider before you call Canada from the USA:
- You usually dial the exit code 011 whenever you call numbers outside the USA. However, Canada is part of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP), so you can ignore the exit code.
- The area code of the place you’re calling in Canada.
- The cost of the call.
How to call Canada from the USA
It is simple to call Canada from the USA with these steps:
- Dial 1. The Canadian country code.
- Enter the area code. Enter the three-digit area code of the region that corresponds to the number you will be calling.
- Dial the phone number. Following the area code you can enter the seven-digit Canadian cellphone or landline number.
Canadian area codes
Like other countries, Canada also has individual area codes for its different regions. Before you make your call to Canada, you must have the area code confirmed. Here is a list of Canadian area codes:
|Location||Area Code||Location||Area Code|
|Alberta (Southern)||403||Prince Edward Island||902|
|British Columbia||250, 604, 778||Quebec||450, 819|
|New Brunswick||506||Toronto (Greater)||289, 905|
|Newfoundland||709||Toronto (Metro)||416, 647|
|Nova Scotia||902||Yukon & NW Territories||867|
Call a Canadian landline
Here’s an example of calling a Canadian landline in Ottawa at 1-877-350-1273.
- Dial 1, the Canadian country code.
- Dial 613, Ottawa area code.
- Dial 222-3333, the landline number.
Call a Canadian cellphone
Here’s an example of calling a Canadian cellphone number in Southern Alberta at 1-877-664-1694.
- Dial 1, the Canadian country code.
- Dial 403, Southern Alberta’s area code.
- Dial 123-7654, the cellphone number.
Make Your Next Business Meeting With Someone in Canada a Success
- Canadians value punctuality so if you’re going to be late to a call, let the person know ahead of time.
- Do not compare Canada to the United States or any other country.
- Keep small talk to a minimum. Do not discuss personal topics, unless the person you’re talking to brings one up first.
- Address the person you’re talking to by their title. Use Mr., Mrs. or Miss and the surname.
- Show respect for everyone’s opinions, regardless of the person’s title.
- If you are calling the province of Québec, be prepared to conduct the meeting in French. Hire a translator if necessary.
- Canadians enjoy being direct, reserved and succinct in business meetings. Adopt these qualities for your business call meetings in Canada.
Are calls to Canada expensive?
Calls to Canada can turn out to be expensive, whether they’re for business or personal reasons. Rates can change depending on if you’re calling a landline or cell phone. If you have to make frequent calls from the US to Canada, using a service like 8x8 can help you save time and money.
Using 8x8 for business calls from the USA to Canada
The right enterprise cloud communications solution can help businesses reduce costs, drive significant productivity improvements and achieve strategic business goals.
With 8x8, you can reduce expenses required to maintain, support and upgrade traditional on-premise solutions. Businesses of any size, configuration or geographic location can benefit from the cost, performance and operational advantages of 8x8’s cloud-based communication solutions.
Calling Canada from the United States is even simpler and can be much less expensive when you use 8x8.
- One platform: One solution for voice, video, meetings, content sharing and messaging on one system of engagement enables your team to collaborate from anywhere, on any device.
- Quality at scale: Guaranteed availability and call quality around the globe.
- Secure: The highest security standards in the industry with externally validated support for security regulations and standards including HIPAA, PCI-DSS, Privacy Shield and FISMA.
8x8 can save you time and money
8x8 helps businesses of all sizes solve critical communication challenges. Some of the benefits of using 8x8 are:
- Increase customer satisfaction and loyalty
- Collaborate and communicate more effectively and securely
- Free up IT resources with maintenance-free communications and rapid deployment
- Unify communications throughout the entire organization
- Integrate mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops into your communications strategy
- View real-time and historical data about crucial business functions for faster, better decisions
- Keep costs low and productivity high, with one easy-to-use economical system
Take a look at our international calling rates
When it comes to international calling, 8x8 provides reliable and compliant cloud solutions at a demanding level rarely seen by other cloud providers. Don't take your chances with a subpar cloud-based telecom system. Call 1-866-422-3807 or fill out the form below to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 Product Specialist.
8x8, Inc. (NYSE : EGHT) is the trusted global provider of secure and reliable cloud-based unified communications and contact center solutions to more than 50,000 businesses, operating in over 150 countries across six continents.
8x8's out-of-the-box cloud solutions replace traditional on-premises hardware and software-based systems with a flexible and scalable Software as a Service (SaaS) alternative, encompassing communication and team collaboration tools and enterprise ready contact center solutions - in one secure, reliable unified communications platform. 8x8's innovative, enterprise-grade global network enables any business to put its real-time communications in the cloud and reap the benefits of one integrated platform for all business communications.