How US Government Departments Can Improve Communication
It's not easy to coordinate communications among US government departments thanks to the large workforce, the complexity of the system, and the vast geographic area.
In order to enhance collaboration, enforce policies, support nation-wide initiatives, and better service the public, US government branches need robust communication platforms to support their functions.
Communication Challenges Faced By US Government Departments
The need to coordinate the many branches in the US government often leads to inefficiencies, miscommunications, and human errors. Here are some of these communication challenges faced by US government departments:
- Overrun by paper-based processes, which is expensive and time-consuming. Not to mention, real-time information sharing among government branches is hindered, leading to delays and errors.
- Constrained by legacy systems, so upgrading to new technologies could be a lengthy and complicated process. Meanwhile, for branches that manage to install new applications, they may have challenges integrating their systems with other departments for effective collaboration.
- Restricted by a limited budget, which makes the adoption of communication technologies more challenging. Officials are constantly under the pressure to do more with fewer resources.
- Increased cybersecurity risks with the introduction of new communication applications, which can lead to costly data breaches. In fact, data breaches are estimated to cost $637 million each year across all federal IT systems.
- Impacted by user errors since the accuracy and security of any communication tool are only as good as the weakest link in the system. With a large number of employees, it's often difficult for US government branches to conduct sufficient training to protect their systems from human errors that result in security breaches.
- Limited by functionalities of traditional communication tools, the quality of service doesn't meet the public's expectation, which leads to frustrations, delays, and errors.
Improving Accuracy, Efficiency, and Security of US Government Communications With Secure Cloud Software
To improve communications and collaboration among the various branches, many US government departments are upgrading to cloud communication platforms such as VoIP, UCaaS, and CCaaS, which help alleviate the many communication challenges faced by government departments and deliver the following advantages:
- Cloud communication platforms offer a variety of features, including voice call, video conferencing, and file sharing to eliminate paper-based processes and improve information sharing.
- Data and files are stored in a centralized location so they can be accessed by all authorized users in real time to reduce miscommunications, errors, and duplicate work.
- Cloud-based communication systems don't require on-premise hardware or local software so you're less likely constrained by legacy systems.
- Since the provider will be performing all the necessary upgrades, you can avoid security issues caused by outdated software.
- Cloud-based software can often be integrated with other applications to improve collaboration, reduce errors, and improve efficiency.
- Cloud software is a cost-effective way to facilitate collaboration among government departments and communication with the public. They require minimal setup, infrastructure, and maintenance cost, so they're often more economical than traditional communication systems. You can leverage the latest in communication technologies without the high cost associated with on-premise solutions.
- The flexibility, scalability, and mobility of cloud applications improve the productivity of remote workforces so you can increase efficiency and reduce cost.
- Since usage rules and access control are set in a centralized system, it's much more cost-efficient to enforce policy updates and security measures across departments in a timely manner.
- VoIP systems help simplify operational workflows while ensuring the constant exchange of the latest information in a secure environment protected by authentication, control access, encryption, and more.
- The ability to communicate with colleagues in real-time across various departments and different geographic regions allows government workers to collaborate on projects, coordinate resources, and keep track of workloads.
- The consolidation of various communication methods, such as voice call, video conferencing, messaging, and file sharing helps improve operational efficiency while reducing the cost associated with implementing individual solutions.
Conclusion: Choosing the Right Solution
Choosing the right communication platform can help government departments boost productivities, increase efficiencies, and improve the quality of service.
There are different cloud communication platforms that offer a variety of functions -- from voice calls to video conferencing, instant messaging to voice broadcasting. It's important to understand the requirements of your department and how the system will integrate into your current workflows when you select your solution.
Government agencies have enough on their plate. Choose a world-class SaaS technology solution and focus on what's important: supporting US businesses. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.