What VoIP Equipment Does Your Business Need?
Most businesses now prefer VoIP business phone systems over traditional phone lines. And it appears state lawmakers in Illinois agree the trend should end the use of legacy telephone service. According to The Chicago Tribune, in 2017, Illinois joined 19 other states in passing a law to end traditional landline phone service.
The law was based on the migration of most Americans to Internet-based and wireless phone services. The VoIP market sustained an average annual growth rate of 3.7 percent between 2014 and 2017, resulting in its overall growth from $69.6 million in 2014 to $7.8 million in 2017.
The usage of VoIP systems is gaining popularity among the business community because of the following reasons:
- VoIP phone systems are less expensive than operating traditional telephone lines. This is because VoIP utilizes a single data network for all communications, leading to a reduction in overall maintenance and deployment costs.
- Unlike traditional telephone lines, VoIP can be used for voice, video and data conferencing.
- VoIP systems are easily accessible. As long as you have internet connections and IP phone, you can make and receive calls from anywhere in the world.
- However, to utilize this technology, you'll need to set up the proper VoIP equipment. There are numerous options available in the market. Apart from the basic equipment, whether your organization needs additional equipment depends on these factors:
- The intended use of the VoIP phone system: A VoIP system intended to make video calls will need more equipment than one only used for voice calls.
- The expected level of use of the VoIP system: Small-business users will need different equipment from those needed by mid-sized business users.
- The specific type of VoIP system: A non-fixed VoIP system might not need any equipment except the VoIP software. Some fixed VoIP systems may make use of the existing infrastructure, thus eliminating the need for some equipment.
Apart from the devices such as computers, sound cards and modems to enjoy VoIP services, among other equipment, you will need the following:
- Analog telephone adapters (ATAs)
- VoIP-compatible phone sets such as cordless phones
- VoIP routers
- PC handsets
- VoIP-compatible modems
Analog Telephone Adapters
An ATA, also referred to as a phone adapter, acts as a hardware interface between an analog PSTN phone system and a virtual VoIP system. The ATA is needed when you sign up for a periodical VoIP service from a VoIP provider or when you plan to use your existing phones. A PC-to-PC VoIP does not need an ATA.
The phone set is crucial for VoIP since it acts as the interface between users and the service. Different types of phones can be used with VoIP, depending on your business needs and your preferences. Examples of phones that can be used include:
- PSTN phones
- SIP Phones
- Desk phones
- Conference phones
- VoIP-compatible cordless phones
- VoIP Routers
Also referred to as a gateway, this is a device used for Internet connection. There are two types of routers:
- ADSL router
- Wireless router
Businesses that have an ADSL broadband internet connection use ADSL routers, while those using wireless internet connection have a wireless router. Wireless routers are the most common and best routers due to their potential to include support for wired networks. They have cable ports into which you can plug your network cables and devices.
A PC handset is similar to a standard telephone, but it connects to your computer via USB or a sound card. The handset can also be plugged into a VoIP phone to let multiple parties use the same phone. They function together with a softphone, with the purpose of helping you use VoIP more comfortably.
This multimedia device allows you to hear audio sound from your computer. It can also be used to input your voice using a microphone.
To understand the type of VoIP equipment your company needs, communication companies such as 8x8 have sales consultants ready to analyze your business needs and recommend suitable VoIP equipment for your business.
Also, these communication companies have different hosting plans that will eliminate the need for your company to buy most of the expensive equipment. Hosted VoIP services will enable you to enjoy VoIP phone services without the need to establish the equipment.
When it comes to VoIP, 8x8 provides a reliable and compliant cloud solution at a demanding level rarely seen by other cloud providers. Don't take your chances with a subpar cloud-based telecom system. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out our online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.