What to look for in a VoIP Cordless Phone System
A telephone set is one of the key VoIP equipment that you need to make and receive calls through the VoIP. There are different types of VoIP phones: desk phones, IP conference phones, analog phones. All VoIP phones do the same function: making and receiving IP calls. However, if your employees move more often around your business premises, then you will specifically need VoIP cordless phones.
What is a VoIP cordless phone?
This is a type of VoIP phone with a portable handset and a separate base unit. The portable handset communicates with the base unit of the phone by radio frequencies.
How do Cordless Phones work with VoIP software?
A cordless phone consists of a base unit and the cordless phone itself. The base unit is linked directly to the VoIP software. The base station sends as well as receives voice data with the caller through the VoIP software before transmitting that information directly to and from the cordless phone. A cordless phone only works if it is within the range of the base unit.
Key things to consider before you buy a cordless phone
When choosing a cordless phone for your company, ensure that you do the following:
- Cost: the cordless phone system should not cost a lot. At the same time, never buy lowly-priced phones –cheap is expensive.
- Broadcasting frequency: Choose a cordless phone model with the broadcasting frequency that matches with your business premise’s coverage. Most cordless phones broadcast at 900 megahertz, 1.9 gigahertz, 2.4 gigahertz or 5.8 gigahertz. You will know the broadcasting frequency by checking the phone or its base unit.
- Voice clarity: Weak phone signal will lead to breaks in speech with deteriorating voice modulation. In the event of signal breaks, it’s recommended that you move closer to the base unit.
- Battery life: a good cordless phone should have a battery that can support as many hours of standby time and talk time as possible.
- Compatibility: the cordless phone base unit should be able to be used together with adapters and handsets of different models.
The capacity of the base unit: a reputable cordless phone should allow for the addition of extra handsets.
- Compliance: a reputable VoIP cordless phone should use the Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTTP). Security of your communications is key.
- Noise-reduction feature: this will help in reducing background noise when making and receiving calls.
- Dual-purpose: the cordless phone should support both landline and IP calls.
- Non-blocking: should be able to support as many simultaneous calls as possible
- Integration: the cordless phone system should be able to directly upload your smartphone contacts into the handset or customize your ringtones or screensaver.
The Best VoIP Cordless Phones
8x8’s workplace cordless telephony solutions are recognized as some of the best in the industry. With the 8x8’s VoIP cordless phones, your on-site employees can roam freely around the workplace while providing reliable and quality voice and data communications. The 8x8’s solutions easily sync up with your prevailing Virtual Office phone service.
According to TechCo, some of the best VoIP cordless phones include:
- Yealink W52p DECT Phone
- Panasonic KX-TGP600 DECT Phone
The Yealink W52p DECT Phone is ideal for a small office or home-based businesses. The phone set includes a wall-mountable DECT base unit and the handset itself, which cost about $109.99. The DECT base unit can concurrently host up to 4 handsets –there’s no non-blocking. An added handset costs about $60.99. The base unit’s coverage area is approximately 100-200 ft. indoors. If you want to extend the coverage range, the base unit has room for up to 6 optional repeaters. A repeater costs about $112.99. The phone supports high-quality wideband voice with a fully charged battery that can support up to 100 hours standby time or 5 to10 hours talk time.
The Panasonic KX-TGP600 DECT Phone is also ideal for small or medium-sized enterprises. A complete set costs about $161.99. It's base unit can host up to 8 handsets and can handle 8 simultaneous calls without blocking. Its DECT base unit can accommodate up to 6 repeaters to extend a range of coverage area. The phone has a noise-reduction feature which helps in reducing background noise. Its fully-charged battery can support up to 200 hours standby time or 11 hours talk time. In addition, it has the Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTTP) option which can be used to enhance your security
When it comes to VoIP, 8x8 provides a reliable and compliant cloud solution at a demanding level rarely seen by other cloud providers. Don't take your chances with a subpar cloud-based telecom system. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.