SMS Videos: Should You Use Them in Your Business?
Human beings are visual creatures. In fact, you may be surprised to learn the human brain interprets images 60,000 times quicker than text. Indeed, it's always better to show or demonstrate something than trying to explain it. Through videos, you're better able to capture key, non-verbal subtleties such as body language and voice inflection.
There are quick, instant methods of transmitting videos, including via video conferencing, WhatsApp and Facebook. However, to get the most out of these platforms, you (and your recipient) must be connected to a stable internet source. Moreover, if your internet connection is faulty, you're likely to experience delayed communications.
Delayed communication may affect both team collaboration and customer service. To avoid such inconveniences, experts recommend adopting videos as an alternative. Here's why.
What is SMS Video?
These are text messages with videos, commonly referred to as MMS. In other words, multimedia messaging service (MMS) is a phone application that enables you to send videos and photos as text messages.
How Do You Send a Video Through Text?
Before sending a video through a text message, make sure your phone is MMS-enabled, as not all phones have the capacity to send or receive SMS videos. Secondly, when sending a video via text message, compose an actual text message to accompany the video or send the video without a text.
You can send a video by first accessing your photos or text message app directly. It's often quicker to send a video by accessing it from your collection of photos and videos versus attaching it your text message app. If you choose the former, follow these steps:
- First, access your videos on your smartphone.
- Then, select the video you want to send.
- Proceed to select the share icon in the lower left corner of the screen in order to send the video via text message, email and social media, amongst other options.
- Lastly, enter the name of your recipient hit send.
Now, if you opt to send a video directly from your text messaging app, then you'll need to follow the following steps:
- Open your text messaging app.
- Select the recipient in order to start a conversation.
- Find the video you wish to send and attach it to your text message.
- Lastly, hit send to complete the process.
Why Should You Use SMS Videos?
- Some mobile applications, such as Android, allow you to specify your location while sending the video. This is a plus if identifying the location of your video recipients and senders is important for your business.
- Also, using MMS, it is possible to send an SMS video to more than one recipient. To do this, ensure that you specify the Subjects before attaching the video. This promotes team collaboration.
- Sending videos through text can come in handy when you experiencing difficulties with your internet connections. MMS is slightly cheaper than internet-related video sharing sites in situations where you only want to send a single video.
What are Some Challenges of Sending SMS Videos?
- There is a limit to the size of the video that can be transmitted through the SMS/MMS protocol. It might be hard to send and receive videos that are bigger than 1MB.To avoid the size limitation; it is always advisable to first upload your videos on file sharing sites like Dropbox or Google Drive. Then, to share the video, only send a URL of an uploaded video as a text. On the other hand, there are applications in the market such as PDF Maker Lite and Sunshine App that can enable you to send large videos. However, for this to be possible, the sender and recipient of the video must first install these apps in their phones.
- When a video is sent through SMS, its quality may vary depending on the type of phone being used to send and receive the video.
- MMS created by one phone brand may not be compatible with other phone brands.
- MMS cost slightly higher than the normal texts. SMS videos are charged to both the sender and recipient.
The format through which you communicate is key to the success of any business. Visual communication methods, such as SMS videos, go a long way in team collaboration and customer relationship management.
Some comprehensive Unified Communications applications (UCaaS) such as Virtual Office Desktop have made collaboration even easier by integrating different communication tools like a business softphone with visual voicemail, corporate directories, web conferencing, instant messaging, video chatting and more.
Collaboration is key to the success of any business. Whether you are using the Virtual Office Mobile app or the 8x8 Virtual Office desktop app, 8x8 makes collaboration quick and simple. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out our online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.