How to Video Chat with Screen Share
Video chat services such as Skype, virtual office, Google’s Hangout, Apple’s FaceTime and Facebook Video Chat have revolutionized the way we do our meetings. In most organizations, physical meetings have been tremendously cut down. To hold a meeting between two or more people, located in different world cities, what you only need is a computer, dedicated software, a webcam, and a strong internet connection. This is commonly referred to as video chatting.
In this post, you will learn everything you need to know about screen sharing in your next video chat. So, let’s delve in and explore:
What is Video Chatting?
A video chat is a virtual face-to-face, visual communication done with two or more Internet users through the use of a webcam and dedicated software. Chances are you have had a video chat in the past. How was your experience?
Perhaps you will agree with us that as human beings, we understand better when verbal and non-verbal communication happens simultaneously. If video chats (which are primarily designed to replace physical meetings) are to be productive, then they must be able to capture all the verbal and non-verbal cues effectively.
One of the features that make video chats an invaluable meeting platform is screen share. Screen sharing saves you the hassle of having to scroll up and down your download list looking for a meeting pre-reading document.
What is Screen Share?
Screen sharing is a video chat software feature that allows people from different geographical locations to view another computer screen in real-time. Through screen share, you are able to see the documents, websites, presentations, videos, or anything else displayed on the computer screen, of a remotely located collaborator, at any particular time and vice versa. You can also see the user on the other end, move items, and interact with anything on their computers and vice versa.
Screen sharing while video chatting is highly recommended during training sessions, presentations, and reporting, sales demos, education & online courses, team collaboration & remote work.
How can you video chat while screen sharing?
- There are three video chat options: video conferencing, screen sharing or both. While video conferencing shows the host and their surroundings, screen sharing just shows the contents of the computer screen.
- For one to use video chatting and/or screen sharing, they must first ensure that the respective software is installed on their computers. Some UCaaS such as 8x8 virtual office app integrate Presence and corporate directory. As such, there’s no need to manage a separate meeting application. To initiate the video chat with screen share, the host of the meeting shares the meeting link to the guests. 8x8 virtual office app has the ability to automatically initiate meetings and invite participants on the fly by syncing up with Microsoft Outlook and Google calendar.
- For the guests to join the meeting, they will need to click the shared link. For the screen to be visible to the guests, the host has first to go live. Then he will activate screen share feature on his/her call screen. Some platforms such as 8x8 virtual office pro allow the meeting participants to easily switch from one device, say a laptop, to another, say phone, without interfering with the meeting. To join a 8x8 virtual meeting, you only required a meeting ID –no download is needed.
- As the meeting host, you have the freedom to choose what to show to the meeting guests. You may choose to show the whole screen or some features of the window.
- Different speakers can use the screen share to make presentations with the functionality of highlighting specific parts of the screen content.
- Some screen sharing apps have the ability to record the meeting for future reference and can accommodate up to 15 participants in the meeting.
Collaboration is key to the success of any business. Video chat with screen sharing is great for meetings that require instant feedback from participants or when there is need to teach someone how to do something. It eliminates the need to print or send files from one team member to another, thus saving a lot on costs. Also, teams can easily collaborate from anywhere on any device using the most integrated video and audio conferencing with HD quality and instant screen sharing.
The best video chat app should come with a screen share feature. Also, it is advisable to invest in a screen sharing app that can work across several platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iPhone. Some of the top screen sharing apps include Skype, Teamviewer, Google Hangout and 8x8 Virtual Office. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.