IT Recruitment Solutions to Streamline Your Hiring Process
Recruitment is challenging in all industries, but in IT, it can be particularly tough. Skilled IT candidates — particularly software and web developers — are in high demand but are likely to be passive job seekers, making them harder to find and harder to lure away from their present positions.
Even when suitable candidates are located, the process of interviewing them and onboarding them can take a significant amount of time while leaving vacancies and the risk of a promising candidate pursuing another opportunity. In addition to being long and difficult, the process is also expensive, costing a significant percentage of an IT employee’s annual salary just to recruit a new hire. Any solutions that accelerate the process can save employers time and expense while ensuring important IT positions stay filled.
Digital IT recruitment solutions can streamline the process of locating, screening, and onboarding qualified candidates. Here are some ways today’s high-tech recruiting solutions can help employers meet IT hiring challenges:
IT Recruitment Challenges
The IT recruitment process faces obstacles typical of recruitment in all industries, along with some challenges specific to the IT industry:
- Finding qualified candidates is challenging in an economy where there is low unemployment coupled with a skills gap. Qualified workers typically already have jobs, and recruiters often find themselves flooded with applications from unqualified job seekers. Finding qualified workers is particularly hard in tech industries, whose workers are in such high demand and often aren’t actively seeking new positions. Many recruiters seeking to fill developer positions find that they have as many as four vacancies to fill for every available qualified developer, Deloitte research shows.
- Screening candidates presents recruiters with the task of sorting through a high volume of unqualified or underqualified applicants to find suitable ones. Each individual application may consume hours or even days of review time. Reviewing applications can be especially difficult when recruiters lack the tech background to evaluate candidates’ qualifications in technical matters such as programming languages and techniques.
- Interviewing candidates presents similar difficulties, along with some additional ones. During the interview process, recruiters may lack the technical background to adequately tackle technical issues. Additionally, subjective factors can creep into interviews through human factors such as fatigue after interviewing many candidates, failure to consistently ask the same questions of each interviewee, or having different interviewers take inconsistent approaches to candidates. These factors can skew interview evaluations, favoring unqualified candidates, or letting qualified ones skip through the cracks.
- Onboarding new hires is also not without challenges. Getting essential forms filled in, communicating with new employees, and scheduling training sessions can be time-consuming processes. When they take too long, they run the risk of delaying onboarding until a candidate has taken another position elsewhere.
This set of challenges can make the hiring process slow and tedious, increasing the labor required as well as the associated costs. According to a study by the Society for Human Resource Management, the cost of recruiting and training a single developer can run between $45,000 and $67,000.
IT Recruiting Solutions
To tackle the challenges presented by recruiting, HR professionals have leveraged the power of digital recruiting tools:
- Applicant tracking system (ATS) solutions simplify the recruiting process by automating key steps. An ATS system can be used as a publishing platform for creating and posting want ads. It can also use keyword analysis to review applications and identify applicants who meet specific criteria. Additionally, it can be used to score candidate interviews according to a specific set of criteria, making the applicant evaluation process more objective.
- Video interviewing software empowers HR professionals to conduct interviews from any location on a flexible schedule. This makes it easier to arrange and run interviews, allowing more interviews to be processed in a shorter amount of time.
- Onboarding software simplifies the task of processing new hires, automating repetitive tasks such as filling out fields in forms and gathering e-signatures, while also serving to deliver training content.
These kinds of high-tech recruiting tools make the hiring process more efficient, saving HR professionals time, and saving their employers money.
How Communication Software Solutions Can Help Your Hiring Process
Using recruiting solutions effectively requires support from suitable communications tools that allow you to recruit, interview, and onboard prospective hires. To facilitate this, 8x8 offers an array of leading communication software tools that can be deployed individually or together:
- Unified communications as a service (UcaaS): UcaaS provides a platform for integrating all communications media into an omnichannel platform that encompasses phone, web chat, email, video, and social media, making it simple to migrate conversations between channels when talking to applicants or running interviews.
- Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP): VoIP, which can be used on its own or as a component of UcaaS, uses the Internet to provide voice communication capabilities with advanced office phone features, cutting the expenses associated with phone equipment and long distance calling and allows recruiters to conduct calls from any location using mobile phones or devices.
- Contact center as a service (CcaaS): Cloud contact centers harness UcaaS and VoIP for virtual support center services, empowering recruiters to talk with recruits over any channel through the cloud.
For all these tools, 8x8 communication solutions feature enterprise-grade security, protecting sensitive personal information handled by your HR department. In conjunction with omnichannel integration, cost-efficient VoIP voice services, and cloud-based contact center capability, this makes 8x8's platform an ideal solution for IT recruitment needs.
The right technology makes all the difference when it comes to recruiting and retaining key talent. Streamline your recruitment process with 8x8 and focus on growing your recruitment business. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out our online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 Product Specialist.