Things to Consider Before Outsourcing Your Coding Project
Coding is the process of designing, writing, testing and developing software, websites, and applications.
As a business, at some point, you might want to develop software, a website or any other type of application for your company. You may do the coding in-house. Alternatively, you may choose to outsource the software development project. According to Deloitte's 2016 Global Outsourcing Survey, 72% of companies’ IT services were outsourced, making it a growing trend in the modern business world.
What Are the Benefits of Outsourcing Coding?
There are a couple of benefits that come with outsourcing your coding practices. Deloitte's survey also pointed out that companies outsource their IT services due to several reasons, including:
- Cost-cutting. If you are a small- or mid-sized business, it might be costly to hire an in-house coding expert. By outsourcing coding, your company will still enjoy the benefits of advanced technology without investing in maintaining the coders.
- Enable focus on core business. Financial and time resources saved by outsourcing coding can be used to grow your core business objectives.
- Solve capacity issues. Even if you have an in-house coding team, sometimes they may be overwhelmed by the coding tasks. Over-stretched coding team might delay results. Consequently, it may be a good idea to outsource to companies that can take on the extra load.
- Enhance service quality. Due to their access to intellectual capital, and regular and diverse coding experiences, specialized coding companies are likely to offer unique coding services that may be hard to find otherwise.
Outsourcing Coding Best Practices
- Know What You Want
For successful coding outsourcing, it is advisable to consider several factors. First, know what you want. Before outsourcing, identify your coding needs. Come up with clear and realistic objectives. Have well-defined timeframes for the work output delivery. Plans may not be absolutely perfect, but having well-defined coding assignments will make it easy to control the results of the outsourced coding assignments.
- Choose a Coding Developer You Can Trust
Make sure you carefully choose your outsourcing developer. Your outsourcing provider is an annex of your business. Choose a coding developer that you can trust. The coding vendor should understand your industry and align to your business culture. A coding vendor with a similar language of communication should be highly preferred. Never look for cheaper outsourcing developers –cheap is expensive. Ensure that the developers are vetted by a third-party network of developers; they should have a reputable portfolio of work done, relevant certifications, ongoing training, industry, and functional experience.
- Sign a Partnership Agreement
Make sure you sign a legally binding Non-Disclosure Agreement with the coding vendor. The agreement should state clear job requirements, timelines, budget, work output, communication and payment schedule, project milestones. This will come in handy in the event of a contract breach by the vendor.
- Regular review meetings to check progress
Conduct regular review meetings with the coding developer. This will ensure that there is constant communication between your company and the contracted coding vendor. This ensures that both parties are aware of quality issues and system changes. Come up with a documentation system to track the progress of the project.
- Software Security
Ensure your software security is assured across the global software supply chain. This will safeguard your company against potential cyber-attacks, breach or hacking.
- Determine If the Coding Task or Project Is Right for Outsourcing
It's essential that you determine that the coding project or task you have is right for outsourcing. Not all coding projects are right for outsourcing, such as those directly related to your core business that need someone internally to handle from start to finish.
Software Needed in Outsourcing Coding
While you will find many companies that offer outsourced coding services, be careful when choosing a coding services provider. Some companies offer cheap quotes but deliver mediocre software and applications. It is always advisable to invest in software that has been tested and proven. Reputable communication companies like 8x8 offer tested communication software such as the intelligent, easy-to-use contact center for teams and full-featured Omni-channel contact centers for enterprises.
Your business has enough on its plate. Outsource what makes sense for your business, choose a world-class SaaS technology solution and focus on what's important: your clients. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.