Router QoS Settings for 8x8 Virtual Office
Your 8x8 Virtual Office business phone service is designed to provide excellent audio quality. This means you should not hear delays or echo when you are having a conversation, and you should not experience dropped calls. There are two common causes of voice quality issues:
- Insufficient Internet bandwidth: If your Internet connection does not have enough bandwidth to support all your data traffic and concurrent calls, voice quality can suffer. To learn more, check out our VoIP Readiness Tool.
- Competing voice and data traffic: Unless you instruct your network router to prioritize voice over data traffic, the two types of traffic will compete, often at the expense of voice quality. The solution is to make sure your router’s Quality of Service (QoS) settings are configured to prioritize voice traffic over data traffic on your network.
QoS settings for your existing router
To prevent audio issues caused by voice and data competing for the same bandwidth over your Internet connection, make sure your network router’s Quality of Service (QoS) settings are set to the 8x8 default QoS settings to optimize and prioritize the handling of voice packets on your WAN connection. Note: if you ordered your router through 8x8, it came preconfigured with these settings. The 8x8 default QoS settings are:
- UDP Range: 3478 – 3480 – Priority: High
- If you cannot set a range, UDP/3479 – Priority: High
- UDP/15044 – Priority: High
- UDP/5060 – Priority: High
- UDP Range: 5196 – 5199 – Priority: High
- If you cannot set a range, UDP/5199 – Priority: High
- UDP Range: 2222 – 2269 – Priority: High
- UDP Range: 16384 – 16404 – Priority High
Note that not all routers have QoS capabilities. For assistance with any QoS questions, please call 8x8 Customer Support at 1.888.898.8733.
QoS routers from 8x8
If you don’t already have a router with QoS settings, consider replacing your existing router with one from 8x8. 8x8-provided routers come pre-configured with all the correct QoS settings.
For assistance with any QoS questions, please call 8x8 Customer Support at 1.888.898.8733.