SIP Trunk Security: How Secure Is the Latest Cloud Telephony Tech
SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) trunking provides companies with a way to efficiently manage their communication channels minus the hardware implication like wires and cables that come with it. Replacing dedicated PBXs, which businesses must operate and maintain themselves, with software IP PBX certainly brings the costs down while providing an efficient way to manage communications.
But with these advantages, does SIP trunking skimp on security? In other words, how robust is SIP trunk security against cyberattacks?
What Is SIP Trunking?
SIP trunking is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology that further improves on the shortcomings of VoIP. However, since VoIP is being adopted at a very fast pace, especially by government, healthcare, and educational organizations, SIP trunking must prove itself to be a secure infrastructure that does not allow any third party to access, view, or use the data transferred between two or more points in a communication channel.
SIP trunking uses several protocols to ensure that your data always stays safe. The most important of these protocols are:
- RTP (Real-Time Transport Protocol)
- RTCP (Real-Time Transport Control Protocol)
- SRTP (Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol)
These protocols make sure that the transmission or transport of data happens in a controlled and secure environment. The SRTP protocol ups it one step further by introducing encryption and message authentication on data that flows in unicast and multicast channels.
With such protocols in place, a company can use SIP trunking-enabled cloud telephony services having the utmost confidence that the communication channels will only send the data that the company wants to send.
Also, since SIP trunking is a secure two-way gateway to the public switched telephone networks, there are no points of compromise between the sender and the recipient. Audio or multimedia information are protected using encryption, making SIP trunking one of the safest ways for long-distance communication or transmission of sensitive data over the internet.
Ensuring SIP Trunk Security
However, since SIP trunking and cloud telephony relies heavily on software, there are certain steps that will guarantee a foolproof working environment for your organization.
- Frequent and Timely Software Updates. Organizations utilizing SIP trunking must keep the software updated as soon as updates roll out. Leaving it for later is not a wise choice as the update may contain valuable security patches that address the latest security threats. Make sure that all software management suites including CRM, IP PBX, and unified communications are up-to-date.
- Regular Password Change: Blindly trusting your creativity can get you into a lot of trouble when it comes to passwords, as hackers can easily crack weak passwords within minutes. The only way out of this is to change passwords every now and then, ensuring they contain alphanumeric values and have sufficient length—the longer, the better.
- Proper Verification of IP Addresses: SIP trunking uses IP addresses, which means the business owner or network administrator will have access to the list of participants in various communication channels. If he/she wants to block certain IP addresses, that is possible through the system.
- Use of Firewalls: A firewall is the first line of defense against malicious login or information access attempts. Having a strong firewall ensures an organization is secure against breaches any time.
These are the primary SIP security measures you should be implementing to avoid data being misused. Since healthcare and government integration of SIP trunking requires the service provider to be compliant with numerous regulations, only choose compliant and trusted SIP service providers for such projects.
When It Comes to Company Security, Choose Wisely
Information flow within any organization is sensitive. With the integration of cloud telephony to business, more channels through which information can be transferred are now available, from line-based communication to multimedia methods like voice, video, text, etc. This also means that hackers or intruders have more options to leverage.
This is why it is essential that the SIP trunk service provider you choose follows stringent security measures. With a secure SIP provider as a partner, you can rest assured that the communication lines in your company are encrypted and safe from data attacks.
Choosing the right technology is crucial to a growing business. Take the uncertainty out of the equation by choosing a SIP technology provider that can scale to meet your business' needs whatever they may be at any given time. Call 1-866-879-8647 or fill out an online form to request a no-obligation quote from an 8x8 product specialist.